Baker is committed to building bridges of trust and partnership between families and our school.
The evidence is consistent, positive, and convincing: families have a major influence on their children’s achievement in school and through life. The research continues to grow and build an ever-strengthening case. When schools, families, and community groups work together to support learning, children tend to do better in school, stay in school longer, and like school more.
How does family engagement impact student achievement?
Many studies found that students with involved parents, no matter what their income or background, were more likely to:
- Earn higher grades and test scores and enroll in higher-level programs
- Be promoted, pass their classes, and earn credits
- Attend school regularly
- Have better social skills, show improved behavior, and adapt well to school
- Graduate and go on to postsecondary education
What are ways to help your student become engaged and successful at school?
- Have ongoing, daily conversations about how their day has been, and what homework needs to be done for the next day
- Be familiar with your student’s grades and work by signing into our online tools, Schoology and Compass
- Make sure kids get a good night’s sleep, at least 8-9 hours every night
- Keep electronics (phones, tv, tablets, computers, etc.) away from bedrooms
- Prepare the night before by laying out clothes, shoes, and backpack so it’s ready to go in the morning
- Make sure your contact information is updated on our school’s system in case we need to reach you
- Let us know if you’re not receiving the school’s frequent communications
- Contact a trusted school representative if you’re worried about your child’s performance in school or if there are other concerns such as behavior, bullying, or mental health issues
Schoology for Parents
View your child's assignments, message their teachers, see grades and keep up with learning activities.
Compass the Family App
This is a one-stop to view attendance, sign your child up for afterschool activities, make payments through MySchoolBucks and more.